Sunday, February 12, 2012

Slowly making progress

Several weeks ago I wrote about getting a new job. As predicted, that has taken some attention away from my practice. I am now 3 weeks into my office job, settling in (it's not as bad as I expected...or at least, I'm getting used to the badness!); I've gotten my first paycheck - that's always nice - and now I am moving forward with my private practice.

Progress report:


Supervision

  • I've scheduled two meetings with potential supervisors
    • One is a man who works close to my home; I identified his website while looking at other therapist sites, and I like his clinical perspective
    • Another is a woman who is not quite as close to me, but who was recommended by a friend
  • Once I meet with them and choose someone, I'll be able to send in my LICSW-Associate application; that will take a while to process, but once it's done, I'll be able to legally provide therapy, which is kind of important
Malpractice Insurance
  • Here are some basic things I've discovered about malpractice insurance:
    • "Malpractice insurance" is the same thing as "Professional liability insurance"
      • This may be obvious, but it took me a while to figure it out
    • It is sold at an annual rate, and is usually quoted based on how much they pay out per and per year, e.g. "$1,000,000 per occurrence / $3,000,000 total per year"
    • The cost also depends on whether you work part-time or not; and sometimes when you graduated.
    • For some plans (like NASW - see below) the rate goes up each year, because you are covering increasingly more years back. So for the first year you pay, say, $40, but by year 6 you are paying for coverage for six prior years, so the rate is more like $150.
    • There are various deals based on what association you belong to, but of course you also have to factor in the membership fee, and the added benefits of membership.
      • Case in point: NASW costs $170 / year to join, and I can get part-time coverage for $44
      • This is a good deal if I am going to join the NASW anyway (I has a student membership which I let expire); but if I want just insurance, there are much better deals.
  • For your reference, here is a good link with a list of insurance coverage options for counselors, although I don't know how up-to-date it is, and obviously I can't recommend any of the plans listed.
Office
  • I have not found an office. I had some options but I didn't want to start renting while my start-up was stalled, and now they are all rented.
More news later...

No comments:

Post a Comment