Thursday, January 19, 2012

Okay, back on track

The last two weeks have been tumultuous. I accepted a job in a field that is not directly related to mental health: I hadn't had any luck with social service agencies in the area, and it was time to start getting some paychecks. The job is a research position in the field of education; I'm still kind of bummed about this step, as it feels like I'm moving away from what I want, not towards it. This is more symbolic than real - I know I can always leave after six, twelve, or 15 months when something more relevant comes along - but can symbols still have a strong hold on our ideas about ourselves.

But I've come to some acceptance about this step. Now I need to make some progress on my practice: The whole point of taking this job (besides not becoming homeless) is to have the financial stability to move ahead with my licensure and with my private practice.

My current goal is this: By the end of the year I will have saved a decent amount of money; I will have 4-6 regular clients (I'd be happy with 4) on one day a week (and maybe an added evening); I will have made a number of mistakes and corrected for them, thus learning what I need to learn about what works and what doesn't, and honing my business into a well-functioning practice. Then I'll only be 4 months or so away from getting my license. I'm hoping that, around 2013, a promising part-time agency position will open up somewhere. I like the idea of working at a mental health center for 2-3 days a week and doing my private practice 2-3 days a week.

My plan of 'opening shop' by February 1 is looking like it needs scaling back. I still need a supervisor signed on, then I need to file the forms with the Dept. of Health. I need to write my blurbs, website, etc.

But as long as I take it one 'action step' at a time I think I can move forward. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment