Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Progress and Procrastinations

I'm happy to report that I've made some important progress in the last week. I've also had a few steps I've been procrastinating on.

Progress:


  • Made some progress with my website design (using WordPress templates for now - pretty easy, but I don't love any of the designs), and had a couple of friends look it over
  • Registered new business (sole proprietership - why? I'll try to write about that a bit later), and received UBI (but not the license, yet), which is the business ID I need to set up a business account at my credit union
  • Almost opened my business account - I went in and got all the info, but, since I want my wife to be a partner in the sole proprietorship, and since she's on the license, it turned out I couldn't open the account without her present. But that should take 5 minutes - hoping to do that before Friday.
    • (Side note: The main reason I want a separate business account is so I can put all my expenses on one card, which will make bookkeeping a lot easier I hope.)
  • I confirmed (per my most recent post) from the WA DOH that I CAN have a supervisor who is NOT an LICSW - more on that later.
  • Which brings me to: I think I found a great supervisor! It was based on a professional recommendation. We're not officially signed on yet - she's still checking on availability and details, but her background, focus, theoretical orientation, are great matches. Once we meet and make sure we're a good fit, I'll be really relieved because I was not looking forward to shopping around
  • I emailed several people about office space; one person required a 2-day/wk commitment, including a Saturday; another one caters to new practices, lets you rent by the hour, has family and play facilities, and is in a decent, although not great, location. I'm hoping to visit their site next week.
  • Oh, yeah, and I got a part-time job! I'll discuss that later, but I'm generally very happy about this development. It will put me and my family on a solid financial base, and I can start up my practice as slowly as I want, without feel pressure to make it grow faster than I feel comfortable.
  • I also went to the store and bought a bunch of office supplies
Okay, on to what I haven't done. Looking over my to-do list and action-step list, I see a few things that I am clearly resisting... 

Procrastinations:
  • Everything to do with writing content for my website and 'listing blurb' (is that what you call it?)
    • Why do I resist this? Despite being a therapist, I have a deep aversion to therapist language on websites - it just sounds fluffy, self-promotiony, and so on. How do I write something that is 'me' but also will attract strangers - basically, customers? It's much easier to do other things.
    • Also, I'm not quite out of the closet about my 'theripality' as it were. I have relatives who look down on therapy, or think it's crap; others maybe think, "What, Justin's a therapist?" This boils down to self-confidence, of course, but it's projected on others. How will I feel when my uncle or father-in-law or high school friends read my website? Can I take myself seriously and ignore what others think? Does part of me secretly think therapy is a load of crap?
      Here's a question for readers: What are the best private practice therapist sites you have seen?
  • Fill out LICSW Associate application form
    • There is a simple reason for this: I didn't have any printer paper; now I do, so I might as well get it filled out - especially the form I need my new supervisor to complete.
    • Come to think of it, maybe now's the time to have my OLD supervisor fill out my hours - that way I won't have to worry about him dropping off the face of the earth.
Next priorities on my agenda are:
  • Finish opening business account
  • Start writing content for my website and blurb
  • Make sure I have a supervisor and meet with her
  • Check out offices

No comments:

Post a Comment