Monday, December 26, 2011

Barriers and resistances

Having just written a bit about anxieties, I thought I'd get a little more specific. True, there is a general fear of the unknown that makes it difficult to move forward with changes. But when I think about it, I can break the fears down into more specific categories. I think it is good to be aware of what barriers we face before we begin.

Here are five that I've recognized - some are practical concerns, some cut to the core of how I view myself:
  • Confidence in myself as a clinician ("Am I really ready to do this?" / "Who do I think I am?")
  • Confidence in myself as a businessperson ("Where do I start?" / "What if I fail?")
  • Finances ("Can I afford to invest in a business at this time?" Of course, on the flip-side, we have: "Can I afford to continue to have no job and no income?")
  • Indecision about making key choices (such as: fees; locations; focus; etc.)
  • Licensure issues (It's complicated; I'll expand on this later)
I'll probably go into these in more detail as I move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment