Monday, December 26, 2011

Why starting a business is like having a baby

It occurred to me, today, that starting a private practice couldn't  be any harder than having a baby. Granted, I am a father so I didn't have to carry a child inside me, or squeeze it out, or nurse him once he was born. But I've done a lot - from buying strollers to choosing diapers, to changing diapers to waking up at all hours of the night, and so on. Prior to the birth, my wife and I went through a period of planning; decision-making; and preparation. We were a bit nervous about our preparation and readiness, and it was hard to imagine what it would really be like. At that point a baby was all theoretical. Once our son was born, the theory faded and we just did what we needed to do, day by day, and everything went great. Anxiety usually comes from the unknown.

I tell myself that my new business endeavor is similar: a lot of preparation; a lot of unknowns; some anxiety or uncertainty; no instruction manual. But, 
once the groundwork had been laid and once I start seeing clients, the fear of the unknown should fade (or maybe be replaced by new fears) as the reality takes on its own momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment